Location:P.G. Chambers School
These intensive, hands on evidence-based four-day course addresses sensory integrative dysfunction across all ages in those with Autism spectrum, developmental and learning disorders. Participants will leave armed with new direct treatment strategies, as well as contextual interventions to assess and treat across five interdependent systems: motor, sensory, emotional-relational, communication and cognitive problem solving. Participants will learn to treat the root deficit systems instead of isolated deficit behaviors; using Polyvagal Theory informed treatment approach. These approaches enable patients to show regulated functional mastery with spontaneity, self-motivation while seeking out increasingly positive interactions. The focus will be on tools to enhance participation by improving body awareness, postural stability/security, coordinative skill, motor planning, interest and skill with interpersonal communication, organization, and abstract reasoning for learning.
At the completion of this course participants will be able to:
- Identify and access efficacy research to justify diagnosis and treatment of SPD with SI intervention.
- Understand polyvagal theory, behavioral dysfunction with chronic stress from SPD, & treatment approaches from health, well-being, and functional development.
- Design interventions that address developmental deficits across the five interdependent development systems.
- Assess and document an individual’s specific deficit area and establish goals and priorities for treatment.
- Enable safety and security in attachment relationship, using co-regulation to build self-regulation, sensory pleasure, motor competence, self-esteem and self-confidence.
- Develop hands-on intervention skills for tactile/proprioceptive handling, ball work, movement techniques enabling SI for body awareness, and muscle tone for postural stability and security.
- Design strategies that enable praxis for academics including handwriting, visual-spatial thinking, arithmetic, spelling, memorization and abstract problem-solving.
Faculty: Jeanetta Burpee, M. Ed, OTR/L
Co-Sponsored by: P.G. Chambers School and Education Resources, Inc.
How to register: Please contact Education Resources at 1-800-487-6530 or visit www.educationresourcesinc.com
Date(s) - 05/14/2020 - 05/17/2020
15 Halko Drive
07927-1380 New Jersey